I like most kids always thought my parents would live forever. I have a grandma who was 97 this year and although she has dementia she is the sweetest grandma any child could have. So in my mind I just figured my mom and dad could live that long. In the last 6 years so much has happened in this little family group of mine. First my dad went in for open heart surgery of which he survived only to have a left brain stroke a few days after he got home from the hospital. But ya know that was not so bad as I still had my dad. Communication was a problem but who cares as long as he was here. But again in my mind he was still the man I loved so he could still live to be at least 80 I thought.
Then there is my mom who was in good health except for a few little mini strokes but otherwise she was fine. She had started to forget things but it was not that bad. Then in July we all planned a vacation to WI. to see family and for mom to make her yearly visit to her mom. I thought nothing of it as she had made the trip every year. She loved her momma and nothing would stop my mom from going to see her. I think deep down my mom knew she should not fly but she had to get to her momma.
Why am I writing this blog well I found out yesterday that my worst fears about my dad were true. He is worse than he was when I left. Barb got him out of the hospital last week but she told me he now needs to go back in. He is still not eating and he is disappearing in front of her eyes. Before I left he had lost 12 lbs. and did not look good and that is why I did not take any pictures of him. Barb is now trying to get him back into the hospital so he can get 24 hour care. You do not know how hard it was for me to leave and come to Kuwait. But, I knew that Dad would not want me to cancel because of him. So I came and I have prayed he will get better but now I just do not know. I am not going to go home early as I also know dad would not want me to rush home as there is really nothing I can do for him. But, if I know my dad he will be there when I get home if not only for me to snuggle next to him and say my goodbyes and tell him how much I love and will miss him.
Thank you for letting me babble on but I needed to get this all out. My heart is breaking and I have no one to talk to over here except Michael and yes he has been a great help but I want to talk to my Aunt Linda and cry on her shoulder over the phone.
*****To my dad I will be home in 4 Mondays. I will tell you all about my trip and all the interesting things I saw. I love you and miss you more than you will ever know. To Barb please take care of yourself and I know you will do what is right for my dad. I love and miss u 2. To my girls stay strong and say a little prayer for poppop and remember all the fun trips and good times you have had with him thru the years. I love you all and see you in 4 Mondays.
Allah alim - God knows best in Arabic
No comments:
Post a Comment